Google Chrome 11+ on Slackware 
So yea it has been awhile since I've posted anything, not that anyone other than search engine bots read this page.

Anyway I try to keep Google Chrome up to date on my workstation, which on linux requires updating the package since it doesn't have an internal automatic update function like Firefox does. So I updated to version 11 (build 698), and noticed that for some reason Google decided to link the binary against libpam, argh. For most other distributions this likely isn't an issue, but since Slackware doesn't use pam you get a nice library not found error. There also doesn't appear to be a prebuilt package of libpam for slackware, which is probably fine, should probably know what you could be delving into by installing pam.

Since I'm not interested in 'pamifying' my Slackware I just want the library so chrome will launch, I downloaded the source from kernel.org and installed it and chrome now works yey! Though the newer version also appears to try to detect graphics card capabilities or similar since it is looking for libpci, it is just a warning but apparently this is something new as the next release version (v12, build 742) doesn't result in that error, though that could be related to my nvidia card/driver too.

[ view entry ] ( 15827 views )   |  permalink  |  print article
udev and machine cloning 
As per my post below I had created a 'master' install of Slackware 12 in order to make setting up a dozen boxes easier, so rather than do a bunch of installs just install everything once and then rsync it to the new machines later and just make a few changes. Turns out that udevd caused a problem with the network interface naming on the 'cloned' machines. In my case eth0 and eth1 initialized properly in the kernel boot, but later after the init scripts ran they were changed to eth2 and eth3.

This is due to udevd making note of the MAC address on the master box inside /etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules, seeing that those mac addresses weren't present in the machine and renamed them accordingly. The fix is simple enough by either removing that file or edit out the mac addresses of the original box and either rebooting or restarting udevd.

[ view entry ] ( 7566 views )   |  permalink  |  print article
Dell Open Manage Server Administrator (OMSA) and Slackware 12.0 
I've been working on getting a stack of Dell PowerEdge 1750's up and running for the past month or two and kept running into snags getting OMSA working under Slackware. There seem to be very little resources online in regards to Slackware and Dell OMSA, or the few things Google dredged up were rather out of date.

In any case I did find this early on and had some success with it under Slackware 12:

http://anothersysadmin.wordpress.com/20 ... ributions/

However I didn't really like the idea of have to bootstrap another flavor of linux just to get OMSA working, I wanted OMSA to run natively on Slackware. It turns out the solution was actually very simple, and appeared to work with several different versions of OMSA (5.x at least). Just download the RPM's from Dells repo:

http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/

And install them with the RPM tool, even though Slackware doesn't use RPM for any of its packages, it does include the tool to start your own or install other packages. Converting these packages to Slackware format with the rpm2tgz tool doesn't work since it seems the RPM have 'scriptlets' that perform pre- and post- functions, which get lost or otherwise didn't seem to work for me when converting them to tgz packages , but I didn't dig much into that since installing with rpm worked fine with one caveat, you must use the --no-deps parameter to get them to install. This is due to the lack of an rpm database within Slackware, even though the various dependency programs do exist, according to the rpm database (which is empty) they don't. You also have to install the packages in the correct order as they depend on each other. I just had to install the deng package first, then went on to omacore and omilcore and so on.

In order to login to the OMSA web interface that runs on port 1311, you need to install the Linux PAM package as well, you can get that from:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/library/

compile and install that, then you'll need to create a file at /etc/pam.d/omauth with the following contents:


# The PAM configuration file for the `omauth' service
#
auth required pam_unix.so nullok
auth required pam_nologin.so
account required pam_unix.so nullok


That will allow the OMSA service to use pam to authenticate the weblogin form against the local unix accounts, there are probably fancier ways to do it but this worked for me.

There may be a few other things I'm missing off the top of my head as I don't have any written notes on the process, which is why I created this blog to help document it so hopefully others may find it if they're curious about Slackware and OMSA.

Apart from the obvious kernel config, which is pretty straightforward as the storage drivers are in the standard kernel, it was pretty easy to get working once I just used the native RPMs. Installing the OMSA rpm packages will put the startup scripts in /etc/init.d, which Slackware 12 and newer now use as well (which comes in handy for compatibility across distributions).


[ view entry ] ( 9118 views )   |  permalink  |  print article
Yey 
I finally broke down and installed a blog, figured h0b0.net has been barren for long enough; it got zapped a few years ago due to a bug in phpbb, hence the unhappy face that has been there since. Also figured it may help others having problems that I've run into that will try to document here from time to time (along with other random stuff).

[ view entry ] ( 8170 views )   |  permalink  |  print article

| 1 |